But that isn't the only fire safety check you should do annually. Here are some other recommended tips to help keep you and your family safe.
- Clean your stove burners and oven regularly. Hard grease build-up can become combustible.
- Check your cupboard for cleaning products, paints and other liquids that are flammable. Read each label carefully. Use and store each product only as recommended.
- If you keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen — and you should — confirm that it is still good. Extinguishers are like food. They have expiry dates!
- Go over your fire escape plan with your family. Make sure everyone knows exactly what to do if a smoke detector goes off or if there's a fire. (Don't have a fire escape plan? Make one!)
- Check that all windows open easily, especially upper floor windows.
- Check appliances you use often, such as hair dryers, for worn or frayed cords.
- Regularly clear away lint build-up in the clothes dryer. Check the outside dryer vent annually to make sure it's clear and working correctly.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace or stove, get it cleaned and inspected by a licensed technician once a year.