Here are 7 ways to keep the garage door working better & longer.
-Clean and wax – A clean door means grime and salt won’t scratch the door or erode the seals between sections. A coat of wax helps protect the door too.
-Lubricate garage door mechanics – keeping hinges, bearings and rollers operating smoothly will prevent corrosion and extend the life of the unit.
- Check Rollers - look for worn-out ball bearings, flattened rollers, or crooked rods.
- Examine tracks – check for loose bolts, loose supports, wear and tear near the pulleys and the lower support (corner bracket)
- Check the weather stripping at the bottom of the door – it helps keep the moisture, dirt, rodents out of the garage. And lubricate it with dielectric grease lubricant to soften and recondition rubber weather stripping to prevent cracking or drying out.
- Check Garage Door Opener Safety Features – test the auto reverse by placing an object between the lasers.
- If it’s a door with springs …check the springs – do not attempt to adjust or repair the mechanism. The springs are under huge tension and can be lethal, always contact a garage door professional.
A good home inspection when you're buying or selling will pick up any potential issues that need maintenance.