If your living space is small and you’re preparing to sell then pay special attention to this area.
1. Lighten it up and keep it neutral. Dark colours on walls can add dramatic effect but if any walls are anything other than neutral then painting is a must, even for those on a tight budget. Lighter tones will make the room seem brighter, larger and cleaner.
2. Windows are an important feature so maximize them, don’t cover them up with sofas or drapes. Consider using large mirrors to make the area feel more spacious, where possible place them across from windows to reflect the natural light around the room.
3. Build the room around the largest piece of furniture, keep it minimalist and remove all non essential items to storage. Add accent colours with pillows, throws, vases.
4. Open bookcases or shelving with greenery makes for ideal separation between spaces in the same room without making it feel closed in.
5. Finally check the lighting in the room, if it’s dated consider replacing lighting fixtures with something more glamorous or modern.